BlueData Continues Momentum and Customer Success with its Innovative Big-Data-as-a-Service Software Platform
New Customer Wins, International Expansion, and Big Data Innovations Fuel Triple Digit Growth in 2017
Santa Clara, Calif. — BlueData®, provider of the leading Big-Data-as-a-Service (BDaaS) software platform, today announced record financial results for 2017 with 228% growth in sales year over year. BlueData added new customers of all sizes and across multiple industries, ranging from leading financial services firms including Citigroup and GM Financial; to global pharmaceutical companies like GlaxoSmithKline and regional healthcare organizations such as Seattle Children’s Hospital; to innovative and fast-growing technology companies like Phreesia.
In 2017, BlueData also added a new direct sales organization in Europe; with new customer wins across the region including Tesco Bank in the UK, utility company A2A in Italy, and telecom provider MTS in Russia. And to further its international expansion, the company established a global reseller agreement with Dell EMC as well as partnerships with regional distributors such as Networld in Japan.
“This was another milestone year for BlueData, and we continued to deliver on our commitment to product innovation and customer success,” said Kumar Sreekanti, co-founder and CEO at BlueData. “We introduced several new product releases and solidified our position as the first and only BDaaS platform to support on-premises deployments, multiple public cloud services, as well as hybrid architectures. Most importantly, we’re seeing rapid growth in customer adoption in every industry and every geography across the globe.”
Big Data Customer Success
BlueData has continued to invest in world-class services and support to help customers achieve faster time-to-insights and deliver cost savings for their Big Data initiatives. Several BlueData customers shared their testimonials and deployment best practices in 2017, including:
- In this video, Nasdaq shared how BlueData helps improve agility and reduce costs for their Big Data infrastructure — while ensuring performance and security — in a multi-tenant environment.
- This article highlights how Panera Bread spins up instant clusters for Big Data analytics and data science with BlueData software, to support their rapidly growing business and multiple use cases for Hadoop and real-time streaming platforms like Kafka.
- At the Strata Data Conference in New York, Barclays presented a session on how they enabled self-service provisioning of containerized Hadoop and Spark clusters for their data scientists — powered by BlueData and the Dell EMC Elastic Data Platform solution.
- In this joint webinar with Hortonworks, The Advisory Board Company (now part of Optum) shared how using BlueData software has helped them to cut their Big Data infrastructure costs by more than 80 percent while also freeing up staff to innovate and build new capabilities.
2017 Product Highlights
2017 was a significant year for BlueData in terms of Big Data innovations and product releases for the BlueData EPIC software platform. Some of the highlights included:
- Early in the year, BlueData delivered a new winter release with enhancements for data science operations — bringing DevOps agility and collaboration to data science teams as well as support for new machine learning use cases.
- In the spring, BlueData announced the ability to run Big Data workloads in a hybrid architecture — both on-premises and in the public cloud — from a common self-service user interface and administrative console.
- BlueData also released the results for a ground-breaking benchmarking study with Intel, demonstrating comparable performance for Hadoop when running in a bare-metal environment or in a containerized environment using the BlueData platform.
- In June, the company introduced BlueData EPIC 3.0 with several significant upgrades in enterprise-grade security, networking, and performance optimizations for Big Data and distributed data science workloads running in large-scale production environments with Docker containers.
- In the fall, BlueData released new capabilities including GPU support along with deep learning using tools like TensorFlow and BigDL with Apache Spark. BlueData also announced multi-cloud support, with initial availability for BlueData EPIC running on Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure as well as AWS.
BlueData’s product innovation received several awards throughout the year. CRN named BlueData as one of the “15 Coolest Big Data Platform Vendors” and included the company on its “Big Data 100” list of innovative technology vendors for the third year in a row. BlueData also won the Datanami Editors’ Choice Award for “Best Big Data Product or Technology: Virtualization” in the fall. And DBTA recognized BlueData’s EPIC software as a trend-setting product in data management and analysis. In each case, BlueData was recognized for its innovations in using Docker containers to streamline Big Data deployments with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and other data science and analytics tools.
BlueData provides the only Big-Data-as-a-Service solution that can be deployed either on-premises, on multiple public clouds, or in a hybrid architecture. And only BlueData can accommodate the security, multi-tenancy, and performance needs of customers deploying large-scale Big Data and data science workloads in containerized environments — with a turnkey infrastructure software platform proven in production deployments at leading enterprises across the globe.
In 2018, BlueData is looking to continue its momentum as the company builds out its sales, marketing, partner, and services capabilities to support international growth. BlueData will also extend its leadership and product functionality for Big-Data-as-a-Service, including new automation capabilities and innovations to capitalize on industry advancements in container orchestration for Big Data workloads.
The company will continue to establish its position as an industry thought leader, including participating and speaking at multiple Big Data events this year. BlueData will be showcasing its software innovations in booth #1508 at the upcoming Strata Data Conference in San Jose, California (March 6-8) and the following week in booth #B48 at the Big Data Paris event in Paris, France (March 12-13). BlueData’s co-founder and chief architect, Thomas Phelan, will present “How to protect big data in a containerized environment” on Wednesday March 7th at 5:10pm at the Strata Data Conference in San Jose.
About BlueData Software, Inc.
BlueData is transforming how enterprises deploy their Big Data applications and infrastructure. The BlueData EPIC™ software platform uses Docker container technology to make it easier, faster, and more cost-effective for enterprises of all sizes to leverage Big Data — enabling Big-Data-as-a-Service either on-premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid architecture. With BlueData, they can spin up virtual Hadoop or Spark clusters within minutes, providing data scientists with on-demand access to the applications, data, and infrastructure they need. Based in Santa Clara, California, BlueData was founded by VMware veterans and its investors include Amplify Partners, Atlantic Bridge, Dell Technologies Capital, Ignition Partners, and Intel Capital. To learn more about BlueData, visit www.bluedata.com or follow @bluedata.